A culture of well-being not only improves employee health, it improves the productivity and outlook of the organization as a whole.
Ahead of her presentation at The IIA’s 2023 IGNITE Conference, Oct. 24-26, Eulonda Whitmore highlights the importance of self-care in the workplace and the role that the internal audit profession can play in promoting it.
How organizations can promote self-care
Organizations can promote a culture of well-being, strong internal controls, and a healthy work environment in many different ways, including:
- Encouraging employees to use their vacation days if they haven’t been out of the office in a while.
- Communicating with employees that taking time off when sick is a best practice.
- Giving employees the space to take periodic breaks during the day to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Establishing a flexible work arrangement, allowing for employees to work from home when needed.
- Actively monitoring employee workload to ensure each employee has a healthy work-life balance.
- Encouraging employees to take a break during lunch and step away from their desk to help them unwind.