An assurance map (AMAP) is a tool to ensure key risks are assured across your organisation – driving out gaps and overlaps in the assurance jigsaw. The idea seems straightforward but there are many stories of lengthy, complex and incomplete assurance mapping efforts. This workshop will give you a good grounding in the principles and practical application of AMAPs so that you can start using this approach with greater confidence in a range of ways – from audit planning to assignment management; from overall audit opinions to the delivery of efficiency opportunities between audit and compliance functions.
Who should attend?
- Head of internal audit and internal audit managers.
- Compliance professionals
- Risk managers
What will I learn?
Upon completion you will be able to:
- deliver AMAPs in a timely and cost effective way, with clear benefits for key stakeholders
- save time and effort in terms of delivering AMAPs with internal resources, or managing the efforts of others
- recognise the key components of an effective assurance map
- assess your current efforts and plans to deliver an assurance map so that you can avoid the common pitfalls and difficulties, including important lessons concerning the scope of an assurance
- map and key stakeholders to engage
- build a realistic business case for an assurance map, including likely ‘quick wins’
- prioritise your current efforts and understand future opportunities, including assurance scorecards and synergy opportunities
- IIA and other definitions of an assurance map
- the different assurance maps and their benefits
- a framework for progressing with assurance maps
- the common pitfalls
- case studies – financial controls, compliance, projects, streamlined board reporting
- frameworks for improving the co-ordination between audit and assurance providers
- how assurance mapping can support synergy reviews
- implications of an assurance approach for audit planning and assignments
- review of progress / plans in your organisation and insights on key areas to prioritise
James C Paterson
Former CAE of AstraZeneca PLC, now consultant in risk, audit and assurance matters, leads training for the IIA in Belgium, France, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. Specialist areas include Lean Auditing, Assurance Mapping, Root Cause Analysis, Auditing Culture and influencing and Political savvy for Internal Audit. Author of the book Lean Auditing, published by J Wiley & Sons in 2015. Regular speaker at the IIA Global Conference - 2014: Influencing and Political savvy for Internal Audit and 2016: Lean Auditing.