Understand what behavioural risk is – and how it can impact the way key business risks are managed.
What will I learn?
Upon completion you will be able to:
- understand what behavioural risk is – and how it can impact the way key business risks are managed
- case studies that illustrate behavioural risk in practice
- the psychological and systemic drivers that create behavioural risk and what to do to manage their impact
- Know when and how to incorporate a behavioural risk component into audit planning and audit assignments across a range of areas
- Elements of behavioural risk including – Thinking Fast and Thinking slow (Kahneman), Self-justification Wilful Blindness, Group dynamics, the impact of pressure/stress.
- Case studies including Columbia, Air Asia, Deepwater Horizon, Financial crisis, Barings.
- Understanding cultural safety factors – including learning from high reliability organisations – learning culture(s), just culture.
- Understanding what you will gain if you add a behavioural element to audit planning and assignment planning.
- Knowing how to add a behavioural risk component into an audit assignment and how it will add insight and value
CPE competency areas covered
- Performance (Organisational governance | Risk management | Internal control
- Environment (Organisational strategic planning and management)
- Leadership and communication (Communication)
James C. Paterson is a finance professional who then became the Chief Audit Executive for AstraZeneca PLC. Before that he also worked in HR. He has been consulting and training since 2010 and delivers workshops for 12 IIA institutes across Europe, including Albania, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK & Ireland. James has also presented at several 3 IIA International conferences on a range of topics. He is the author of the book “Lean Auditing” which is about new ways of auditing to drive efficiency and effectiveness and added value. His specialist areas of work include Assurance Mapping, Root cause analysis, Audit culture and influencing and political savvy for internal auditors.
Please notice that the last day of registration is 26.1.2023!
In case cancelation is made after 16.1.2023 or participation is not cancelled at all, we will charge full price.
You can ask available slots after the last registration day from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not a member yet? You can read more about membership and application here.